Top Ten Colleges for Creative Writing in India
Any form of writing whether fiction or non-fiction; writing which goes beyond the bounds of technical forms of literature can be considered to be creative writing. Anyone who ventures into creative writing has to have, besides a formal education, an unfailing imagination, an inborn talent to paint vivid pictures of anything in words and most importantly, a keen sense of observation. Creative writing is a medium of expressing oneself freely without the general rules of formality.
Sounds simple? Well its not.
Apart from the regular education generally acquired by a person at school and college level, the making of a professional creative writer is done mostly in universities where budding writers are professionally trained and honed to improve their writing skills. Besides opting for a Bachelor’s degree with English as a Major subject one could choose a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Creative Writing which would lead them to a Master’s degree in the same. However, some institutions and foundations also offer short and distance learning courses in this field outside the universities and classrooms where students of all age groups get to work with the professionals.
India, today is filled with many aspiring writers who try their best to shine in this field be it poetry, stories, plays and even screenplays. These budding artists excel under proper professional guidance and training. Fortunately, many colleges and universities in India offer a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and even diploma courses in creative writing which is a blessing for the numerous creative writers in India. Now they can perfect their art closer to home instead of having to wait to be able to afford a seat in a foreign university.
From a wide range of colleges and universities in India, here is a list of the ten most popular and sought after institutions which offer courses in creative writing:
- The British Council located in all metro cities in India offers degree, diploma and certificate courses in Creative writing.
- The JNU (Jawaharlal Nehru University) in New Delhi offers creative writing as an optional subject in its MA (English) course
- Calcutta University offers a Diploma course in Creative Writing
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan in New Delhi offers a Postgraduate Diploma course in Creative Writing
- Xavier’s Mumbai Central Institute of Indian Languages, Karnataka
- Center for Research in Art of Film and Television, Delhi which offers a one-year diploma course
- Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi which offers a PG diploma in Creative writing though the distance learning program
- U.P.Rajarshi Tandon Open University, Allahabad offers diploma courses through the distance mode
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad
- The Karnataka State Open University, Karnataka offers Diploma courses through the distance mode.
Creative writing is an inborn talent which requires the knack, imagination and the gift to convert memories and thoughts into words that becomes a reader’s delight. However, these gifts alone are simply not enough to make a good writer. Writing skills and techniques are needed to fine tune this talent. With the various creative writing institutions, young Indians today have great opportunities to carve a niche for themselves in the world of authors, poets and playwrights.
Word Quotient is a professional writing and translation services company that works on the foundation of pure passion. Creativity flows through our veins and is the lifeblood at Word Quotient. Quality and integrity being natural traits allows us to deliver nothing less than the best content. As an organization we respect opinions and encourage transparency, asserting this in projects we undertake and deals we make.